Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Monday on the Miracle Mile

Monday, March 17, 2014

On this Monday morning, my daughter needed me to babysit while she went to a meeting at work.  It fit in before my Toastmasters meeting with plenty of time to spare. 

At the Toastmasters meeting, I ended up volunteering to compete in Canyonville on March 29th, and gave a first run of the speech I would give.  But I ended up having heart pain that Thursday while working in my parents’ yard, spent a night in the hospital being tested, and withdrew from the contest by the following Monday.  No heart damage, but I now carry nitro and aspirin; take a low dose aspirin every night; eat better with an apple a day, less sweetener in my drinks and no fried foods; doubled my morning dog walk to cover the length of the Reinhart Volunteer Park; and try avoid unnecessary stress. 

I had already stopped going to County Commissioner and City Council meetings because they run too late and I got too bored and irritated by them.  I know what’s going to happen.  When the Council surprises me, it’s usually irritating, because they’ve been pretty reasonable lately.  The Commissioners hold no surprises, with only 3 of them, but they are usually irritating for just that reason.  Their unnecessary camera restrictions, aimed at Dale Matthews and Sandi Cassanelli, were the last straw.

Country Weeklies left on the driveway.  They are commonly ignored by residents around town.

Later, at the Miracle Mile, I picked up KAJO/KLDR’s second $250 check for their Super Sponsor site, so they have been on the Super Sponsor page since then.  The station property was very clean except along the front.  Country Weeklies were smashed to pulp across the side street; I keep that clean in at least the front half, since it can be seen by people leaving the station from the time they walk out the front door.

From there, I moved to the Grange property on the corner and cleaned their property and down that side of the street to the station.  Crossed the street; cleaned the other side of the block and proceeded to the next block to clean in front of the little car lot.  Picked up a bucket of trash right there; asked if I could dump their trash in their can; and asked for a donation.

I started on Umpqua bank’s frontage again, thinking about approaching them or the convenience market next door with a full bucket.  There was heavy litter on the market’s property, but I got called to pick up my daughter, and dumped it in the truck.

When I came back, I started south on Parkdale again, cleaned the front of Swiss Precision, and found a black and white handwoven blanket just inside their fence.  Carrying it back to the truck, my middle back started to spasm, and I called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment