Friday, February 7, 2014

Signs of Prospecting at The Rocks

February 1-2, 2014

Saturday is the day for Greenwood dog park weeding class, from 9:00-10:00 at this season, as well as picking up litter along my dog-walking route at first light.  As I walked along the route in my vest without Petey, I quickly realized that it would take at least two walks to pick up the route thoroughly, going my normal direction one day, and working the opposite side of the street the next. 

I ended up doing the other part of the route on Monday, because I had to be at the Schroeder Dog Park at 9:00 AM for Sunday weeding class, and I took Petey to The Rocks, across the river from Schroeder boat landing, first.  It’s a popular, though unofficial, fishing and recreation spot that farmer Kudlac signed over to Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife a few years ago.  ODFW tried to block the entrance, but the log was pushed out of the way, and a new trail was pushed through the blackberries for emphasis.  

I’ve been bringing Petey there and cleaning the litter out of it most Sundays for the last 4 years.  I occasionally report major dumping to the county or state; there was a pickup load dumped in the middle of the place last year, and a couch in early January.

This Sunday, I saw much sign of someone digging for gold among the Rocks: big holes and small on the downstream side of boulders; cleaning out the cracks between the granite bedrocks; and one big, round hole.  He left the dirt scattered and piled everywhere, ignorant of the rules for mining or care for other users.  I took photos and sent an e-mail to ODFW this morning.  

He dug down a good foot here. 


 A relatively small hole.






This hole is about 3 feet wide and deep.

 A dug-out trail.


 A view of the devastation down the hill; round hole on left, dirt thrown center.

No comments:

Post a Comment