Thursday, March 20, 2014

I’ve left some litter

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Confession is good for the soul.  I’ve left some litter lying in the dog parks when I work there, but I’ve stopped doing that now.

This morning, as I threw away the third water carrier this week, I reflected that there is some litter that even litter cleaners leave, because it seems too good to be litter.  I’ve been leaving gallon or more water carriers that are left by the faucets that are not turned on in the winter.

I started throwing them away a few days ago, when I found two at Greenwood Dog Park.  They were accumulating. 

The day after throwing out the water containers, I found a bowl of dog food by the water faucet.  I don’t know who was thinking what there, but I saw no good coming from it; it went in the trash, bowl and all.  If you want to feed a vagrant’s dog, hand him a little bag of dog food.  Otherwise, you don’t know who or what you are feeding.

This morning, I found a plastic cat food container next to the faucet and water tub, presumably used to transport water.  It went in the trash.  I don’t know what I was thinking, leaving them for so long.  I don’t leave them anywhere else.

A person brings water to the dog park, empties his container, and leaves it next to the faucet, probably thinking he will bring it home.  But he forgets and leaves without it.  Will he pick it up next time?  Maybe; they don’t usually accumulate.  But the containers are always reused containers, usually milk or juice; they are free.  They are made to be thrown away; I may as well do it.

It’s interesting how people will leave clothing that they find on a fence or something where it is visible, in hopes that the person who left it comes back.  Sometimes, they do. 

But if I see the article more than once, I clean it up too.  Vagrants get their clothing very cheap or free, and they tend to discard them when they get dirty, wet, or too hard to carry.  One time, I found a pile of clean used children’s clothing and a plastic sack discarded on the disorderly edge of an otherwise well-kept yard.  

No comments:

Post a Comment